It’s the Major in the mountains that has it all!
Is there anything else quite like the Gstaad Major?
As locations go for international beach volleyball this really does take some beating.
Okay, so it’s not the Copacabana, but try telling that to the stars who will be competing for big money and big medals in one of Europe’s most picturesque beach volleyball playgrounds 1,000 meters above sea level in just two weeks’ time.
So, what’s so special about Gstaad?
- This Swiss gem is where the beach meets the mountains. Just look at the photographs and fall in love with that backdrop. Have you seen anything more beautiful? Breathtaking.
- It welcomes the glitz and glamour of the rich and famous. ‘The St Tropez of the Alps’ has hosted the likes of Elizabeth Taylor, Sophia Loren, John Travolta, the Aga Kahn, Grace Kelly and Roger Moore down the years. In a fortnight’s time the world’s beach volleyball elite will rock up and cause a stir.
- Gstaad stays true to its roots. While it might be a hotspot for celebrities, the village doesn’t get carried away with a celebrity reputation and very much remains down to earth. The famous faces will always compete with some very important neighbors, however…over 700 cows which still roam the alpine land for the 200 farms in the region. There’ll be no booing but plenty of mooing!
- That’s how the Swiss roll! Not only do the home fans go crazy for beach volleyball, but this year the Swiss have high hopes of celebrating success, especially in the women’s competition. Two teams, Isabelle Forrer and Anouk Vergé-Dépré and Joana Heidrich and Nadine Zumkehr, have already booked their Olympic place and they would want nothing more than a victory on home sand.
- Olympic eyes only. For those volleyball heroes who have done their talking on the beach and have qualified for Rio this summer, this year’s Gstaad Major takes on added excitement with the pool draws for the Olympic Games.
So, in a nutshell: jaw-dropping scenery, famous faces, cows for company, world class beach volleyball and great weather. What’s not to like?
Get ready for Gstaad and join the fun – and get the dates in your diary with our Facebook event page. See you soon, Switzerland!